Software Engineer II
U. S. Citizenship required (defined by federal contract)
Director, Physics and Data Science
Purpose of the job:
The Scientist’s primary responsibility will be to develop a quantitative characterization of the Decision Sciences muon tomography systems, including metrics to characterize hardware, algorithms, and operational performance using tomographic images.
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Physics or related field
Advanced degree in a quantitative field such as Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Physics a plus or possess relevant experience in lieu of education
• 3 – 5 of years of experience in three-dimensional imaging techniques, image artifacts, inverse problems and the underlying mathematical principles.
• Fluency in programming is required. Python and C++.
• Good communication, computer, and interpersonal skills are required to enable an effective interface with other professionals, to produce documentation, and to present results to internal audiences
• The ability to work both independently and as part of a team is essential.
• Specific technical skills:
Operating Systems/Workstations: CentOS, Scientific Linux
Languages: UNIX C / C++, Python, UNIX Shell Scripting
Libraries: STL, Boost libraries, VTK, Apache Spark
Tools: Paraview, Numpy, Matlab, Pandas DataFrames, GEANT4
• Technical skills and experience:
Firm grasp of scientific principles and experimental techniques
Ability to think critically and strong problem solving skills.
Experience in experimental nuclear or particle physics is desirable
Experience with c++ python boost
Experience in simulations to develop and test tomographic imaging.
Experience in automated image processing and feature extraction.
Knowledge of Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning concepts and applications.
• Experience in statistical principles and probability theory, image segmentation, automated quantitative evaluation of image data, and feature extraction
• Possess a positive attitude and a drive to solve problems using technical creativity and hard work.
• A willingness to jump in and help with any task in a startup environment
• Strong software development discipline.
• Effective communication skills
• Ability to multi task and prioritize
Essential Functions / Responsibilities:
• Design procedures to asses overall performance of an imaging detector, including detector hardware and tomographic images.
• Perform data analyses to support various objectives of the company, and effectively communicate the results.
• Design and test automated feature extraction algorithms
• Document developed algorithms and transition these algorithms to the software team for incorporation into the production code base
• Collaborate with members of the Physics and Data Science team to evaluate and improve the muon tomography system's overall performance in imaging and threat detection
• Provide technical advice and support to other members of the Physics and Software teams in their own development efforts
• All other duties assigned
• Comply with company’s Safety Program, Code of Conduct and Ethics policy
Up to 10% of the time
• Ability to operate a computer, phone, fax, copy machine and other related office equipment
• Ability to sit or stand at a work station for up to an entire work shift
Job ID: 0159
For more information about our company please visit www.decisionsciences.com